Kempston Challenger Academy | SEND Information Report
page-template-default,page,page-id-19226,tribe-no-js,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-10.0,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-4.12,vc_responsive

SEND Information Report



All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.

The LA Local Offer

The Children and Families Bill will come into force in 2014. From this date, Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.

The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents to help them gain an understanding of the range of services and provision in the local area.

For more information about The Local Offer:


The School SEN Information Report

This utilizes the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEN pupils as determined by school policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet.

Your Child has Special Educational Needs. What can we at Kempston Challenger Academy offer you?

At Kempston Challenger Academy, we believe that the individual needs of all students should be recognized and that these needs may cover a wide spectrum and vary according to the subject being studied and/or a particular moment of time in a student’s life. We are passionately committed to maximising the potential and expanding the horizons of all our students whatever their ability or personal circumstance. This means providing students with personalised learning programmes from the gifted and talented through to those with other specific learning requirements.


Identifying the Special Educational Needs of Pupils

At different times in their school career, a child or young person may have a special educational need. The Code of Practice 2014 defines SEND as follows:

‘A child or young person has SEND if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her. A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:

  • Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age: or
  • Has a difficulty which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.’


The four broad ‘areas of need’ are Communication and Interaction, Cognition and Learning, Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties, and Sensory and Physical Needs.

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEND)?


The Form Tutor should be the first point of contact for help or advice, although it may sometimes be necessary to refer the matter to the Head of Year.

If you continue to have concerns, you can arrange a meeting with the SENDCo Mrs Kiran Haire, the Head Teacher Miss Karen Bateman or Family Support Worker Lynni Gingell. Please book an appointment with the office – 01234 290900.

At KCA the teacher:

  • Has the highest possible expectations for your child and all students in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in the learning in class. This may involve things like using more learning that is practical.
  • That specific strategy (which may be suggested by the SENDCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.


How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?


If there are any concerns around your child’s learning, happiness or wellbeing we will communicate this with you and work together to action support and next steps for improvement

We will do this by:

  • Arranging a meeting with you by the tutor, HOL and SENDCo
  • Listening to any concerns you may have.
  • Plan any additional support your child may need.
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child.

What types of support may be suitable and available for my child?

The Assess, Plan, Do, Review cycle is key to the graduated response to special educational needs laid out in the SEND Code of Practice 0-25 (2014). The approach is essential to successful work with children with special educational needs or possible special needs at all stages of the SEND process from raising concerns to EHCP.


A graduated approach to special educational needs

This resource acts a checklist for a special educational needs coordinator (SENDCo) to record their work with individual pupils as they move through the Assess, Plan, Do, Review cycle. It helps to systemise and clarify the process, ensuring that responsibility is clear at each stage.



How to use the Assess, Plan, Do, Review                                                                               


The SENDCO will look at what is being done to assess the child and by who and ensure that it is being recorded.

  • The subject teacher/tutor’s role to provide clear analysis and evaluation of child’s needs.
  • The teacher is supported by the SENDCO in gathering assessment information and interpreting it.
  • Parent views and external advice also form part of assessment.


A plan is developed in response to the assessment process, keeping the child and their needs at the centre of the process.

  • If it is agreed that a child requires SEN support, then parents must be informed.
  • The teacher/tutor and the SENDCO will agree (with the parents/carers and the student) what support or interventions will be put in place, what the expected outcomes are, the impact and progress expected.
  • A student passport is drawn up with the involvement of the parent and child’s views.

Example of a student passport


A plan is implemented which is recorded in the student passport.

  • The subject teacher retains the responsibility for the student for day-to-day teaching, small group or 1:1 teaching away from the classroom.
  • The SENDCo will works closely with any specialists or SEN support to plan and assess the interventions. The child may be supported by a teaching assistant, but they work under the direction of a teacher.


All interventions will be reviewed over a suitable time period

  • On the date agreed, the impact of any intervention against student progress is measured and recorded.
  • Evaluate the effectiveness of the support.

The process will begin again to ensure continued promotions of the child’s learning and wellbeing.


Specific group work

Intervention, which may be:

  • Run in the classroom or a group room.
  • Run by a teacher or a Higher-Level Teaching Assistant.

Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g., Speech and Language therapy, and play therapy

SEN Code of Practice 2014: School Support (SS)

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENDCo/subject teacher/tutor as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services, such as the ASD Outreach Team, Behaviour Support Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
  • Outside agencies such as the Education Psychology Service (EPS).
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service

Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching. This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups (“Including All Children” documentation from LA).


What is an EHC plan and who can request one?

An ECHP stands for Education, Health and Care Plan. The purpose of an EHCP is to provide special provision to meet the special educational needs of a child or young person, to secure improved outcomes for him/her across education, health and social care and, as he/she gets older, prepare for adulthood. EHCPs can be requested by a child’s parent, the young person themselves (if over the age of 16 but under 25) and a person acting on behalf of the school with the knowledge and agreement of the parent and young person where possible.


EHCPs will be issued when the special educational needs of a child cannot be reasonably provided for within the resources available to children at SEN Support. This will occur where the complexity of need or a lack of clarity around the needs of the child are such that a multi-agency approach to assessing that need, to planning provision and identifying resources is required.


Referral for an EHC Plan will combine assessment and information of the child’s needs from the school, the child and from parents/carers, and where appropriate from the Health Authority, Social Services and any other professional supporting the child.  Information will be gathered relating to the current provision provided, action points that have been taken, and the progress made towards agreed targets. A decision will be made by a group of people from education, health and social care about whether or the child is eligible for an EHC Plan. Parents have the right to appeal against a decision not to initiate a statutory assessment leading to an EHC Plan.


The plan will be a legal document describing a child or young person’s needs, what should happen to meet those needs and the suitable educational placement. It is person centred, focusing on the needs and hopes of the child. The EHC Plan can continue into further education and training, and for some young people up to the age of 25.


There will be an annual EHCP review meeting where all parties involved in the child’s education are invited to attend.  For children who are transferring to middle school there will be a transfer review held during the summer term of Year 6.


For further information:



Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND within this school?


School provision

  • Higher Level Teaching Assistants responsible for teaching SEND groups/individuals on a part-time basis.
  • Teaching Assistants delivering phonic based literacy programmes with individuals.
  • Teaching Assistants delivering a progressive reading programme.
  • Teaching Assistants supporting in lessons.
  • Higher Level Teaching Assistant offering support for children with emotional and social development through our Engagement Hub.
  • School Counsellor


Local Authority Provision delivered in school

  • Early Help Team
  • Autism Outreach Service
  • Autism Bedfordshire
  • Carers in Bedfordshire
  • CHUMs
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • SEND Advice
  • SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)
  • Social Emotional Behaviour Difficulties (SEBD) area advisor
  • Social Emotional Behaviour Difficulties – Claire Mosseveld (Aspen Centre)


Health Provision delivered in school

  • School Nurse
  • CAMHs


How are the teachers in the School helped to work with children with SEND and what training do teachers have?

  • The SENDCo’s job is to support the subject teacher in planning for children with SEND.
  • The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEN. This includes subject department and whole school training on SEND issues, such as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Specific Learning Difficulties.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children.
  • Induction training on SEND for all new staff.


  • Whole school training on quality first teaching and differentiation.
  • Regular briefings which take place on Mondays
  • Support, guidance and training from our Specialist provision on site. The Aspen centre is for children with EHCP’s for Social, Emotional and Mental Health difficulties. Staff are highly trained and have the expertise to disseminate information and training to all staff at KCA.


How will teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Subject teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.


  • Support staff, under the direction of the subject teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted, on a daily basis if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs.
  • Student passports will inform the planning of lessons for your child


How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

  • On entry to the school, all students will undergo baseline tests in English, Maths and Science to determine your child’s levels. This will allow us to monitor their progress against age expected levels.
  • They will also be tested for reading and spelling levels and this will indicate if intervention is needed to close the gap between chronological age and reading and spelling ages.
  • Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her subject teacher/SENDCo
  • All of your child’s subject teachers input progress data every term.
  • In addition, the progress of children with an EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The SENDCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
  • Regular book scrutinises and lesson observations will be carried out by the SENDCo and other members of the Senior Management Team with a specific focus on the progress of and support offered to all students on the SEND list. This is to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.


What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

The Head of Year or Tutor is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.

  • The SENDCo/ Head of Year/student support manager are available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person. involved directly or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Parents are invited to review the passport for students with higher needs.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual requirements.
  • Coffee mornings where you can attend to have an informal chat with the SENDCo and her team of Teaching Assistants.


Further support information

Bedford SEND Independent Advice & Support Service SENDIASS: Provide confidential support concerning educational issues for residents of Bedford Borough. They are impartial from school, local authority, health, social care and other organisations to provide advice and support.

Tel: 01234 276267    email:

SEND: guide for parents and carers: A guide on the support system for children and young people with special educational needs and disability (SEND). 5/Special_educational_needs_and_disabilites_guide_for_parents_and_carers.pdf


How is my child included in the same activities as his/her peers?

At Kempston Challenger Academy we believe all learners should have the same opportunities to access extra-curricular activities. We offer a range of additional clubs, activities and trips that run at lunchtime and afterschool and we are committed to making reasonable adjustments to ensure participation for all.

Risk assessments are completed prior to trips to ensure that all children will be safe and that individuals needs can be met


How Is Kempston Challenger Academy accessible to children with SEND?

  • The school site is wheelchair accessible with a disabled toilet large enough to accommodate changing.
  • Where the school is on two levels, there are lifts in the blocks.
  • All blocks have automatic doors and ramps.
  • There is disabled car parking.
  • Lowered tables in the science blocks.

How will we support your child when they are joining the school? Leaving the school? Alternatively, moving into further education?


 We recognize that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible. Consequently, we work closely with parents, children and staff to ensure these transitions run smoothly as possible

In Year 7:

  • The SENDCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENDCo of the child’s current school. In most cases, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place with the SENDCo from the new school.
  • Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases, staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understanding moving on, then one will be made for them.
  • If your child has complex needs or an EHC Plan, then the SENDCo will attend a review meeting at their current school. This will help to inform and aid planning and preparation for successful transition.


If your child is moving to another school or further education:

  • We liaise closely with Staff when receiving and transferring students to different schools and further education establishments ensuring all relevant paperwork is passed on and all needs are discussed and understood.
  • Careers interviews are provided to help guide and plan next steps for students in years 10 and 11 through our Careers Co-ordinator Mrs Jackie Church.
  • Meetings and visits are held for students who are attending further education establishments, such as Bedford College.


How will the school support your child’s emotional and social development and well-being? 1

We recognize that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiety, and being uncommunicative.


All classes follow a structured citizenship curriculum to support this development. However, for those children who find aspects of this difficult we offer:

  • An in-school nurture provision, Co-ordinated by a Higher-Level Teaching Assistant.
  • Lunch and break time social club support led by our Counsellor.
  • If your child still needs extra support, with your permission the Student Support manager/SENDCO/other pastoral staff will access further support through the Early Help Assessment (EHA) process.
  • The school has a family support worker who works closely with the SENDCo.
  • Support from our specialist provision onsite – The Aspen centre (for children with social, emotional and mental health needs) Staff are on hand to support and advise.

Mr Thomas – The School Councillor and his room – available to students at break and 



Evaluating the Success of Provision for Students with SEND

The following will be evaluated regularly:

  • Progress against SEND priorities in the School Improvement Plan.
  • Outcomes of provision made through review of students targets and tracking.
  • Learning walks by the Senior Leadership Team
  • Book Look reviews
  • Observations of Teaching Assistants.
  • Yearly SEND review


Who can I contact if I have a complaint about the SEND provision for my child?

Initially speak with your child’s tutor/SENDCO about your concerns and hopefully they can address these. If this does not resolve the issue you can then contact the Head teacher or refer to our complaints policy, please refer to school website. If the complaint is about your child’s Education and Health Care Plan you can contact the SEND Team at Bedford Borough Tel:01234 228375