The Government has additional funds to help children from lower income families fulfil their potential. This funding is called the “Pupil Premium”. It means for every child at Kempston Challenger Academy who is registered for free school meals the School will get £935.
With the additional funding the school will be able to support activities such as:
- Teaching assistants
- Alternative curriculum provision
- Staff mentoring
- Revision materials
- Provision of off-site super learning days prior to key examinations
If you are registered for free school meals you could also get help with school trips and the cost of school uniform. Therefore, we would encourage all eligible families to register as soon as possible.
To qualify the applicant must:
- Attend a School in Bedford Borough, although the child can live outside the local authority area.
- Be in receipt of one of the following qualifying benefits:
- Income Support.
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance.
- Income-based Job Seekers Allowance.
- Child Tax Credit, provided neither you, nor your partner, are entitled to Working Tax Credit,and the joint annual income is below £16,190 (To clarify, if you or your partner are in receipt of working tax credit, you will not qualify for free school meals no matter how low your income.)
- The Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit.
- Asylum seekers support under part VI of the Immigration Act 1999.
- Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
- Universal Credit.
- Check if you qualify.
- Register by completing a Free School Meals form which is available from the School reception or via the Bedford Borough website.
- If you need help in completing the form please ask a member of staff at School reception.
- Your child does not have to take up the free school meals even if they are registered but the school will still get the £935.
- Registration for the free school meals does not affect any other benefits that you might be claiming.
If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact myself or the Student Support Managers
FSM – PP Letter to parents April 2018
fsmform April 2018